Sunday, August 08, 2010

Ireland Day 3: Cliffs of Moher

When I was planning our little trip to the Emerald Isle, I read that the Cliffs of Moher were Ireland's most visited tourist attraction. Then I saw that scenes from the Princess Bride & Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince were filmed there and that sealed the deal... I decided we had to go! I found a bus tour with the Cliffs as one of the stops and signed us up.

Before the first stop (Limerick), I was feeling really carsick. The trip was a mini bus/large van and I wasn't in the front. I started sweating like crazy and took my coat off...Lisa couldn't believe I was warm. We weren't scheduled to stop for an hour and a half and I didn't know how I was going to make it all the way... it was like my prayers were answered when the bus driver made an unscheduled stop so he could use the bathroom at a gas station! I told Lisa not to let him leave without me and ran in behind him! We went the rest of the way to Limerick and after a quick stop in the bathroom and quick photos of King John's castle, I switched seats with Joe (who was in the front) and we were off to the Cliffs!
I felt much better once I was in the front, but I was still suffering from some residual motion-sickness. When we got to the Cliffs of Moher, though, it was worth the carsickness!
After some time at the Cliffs, we headed to Irleand's "traditional music capital," Doolin. Unfortunately, we didn't hear any music! We just had lunch & then it was about time to head to our next stop.
We spent some time at the Burren, a "lunar landscape" of limestone. David found a great crevice in which to take a picture, but it was too scary for me to watch!  I enjoyed the view of Galway bay from safer ground!
We wish Joe's leg weren't in this picture!!!
After the Burren, we went to see a really old tomb called Poulnabrone. To say it's old is an understatement... evidence shows that at least 33 bodies were moved from a previous burial site to this one in 3000 b.c.
Our last top was Bunratty Castle. We didn't go in... Lisa & Joe did some more shopping and David and I got ice cream cones. Then it was back to the van with our crazy driver to head back to Cork. Most of the time we were moving, I was sleeping... I hated to miss the Irish countryside, but I didn't want to be sick!

1 comment:

Ireland County Clare tours said...

I appreciate your journey and its snaps captured by you. It feels very lovely and affable when someone shares his travel story with you of the same place you have traveled before. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful piece of camera work. I hope that you will keep sharing posts like this.

Related Posts with Thumbnails